The WCF Cocoa Livelihoods Program (CLP) increases farmer income and strengthens cocoa communities through three main objectives: increased farm-level cocoa productivity to 1000 kg/ha; improved service delivery efficiency for long-term, farm-level cocoa productivity increase; and improved farmer resiliency with a focus on food crop productivity.
CLP takes an industry-led approach, reaching rural farmers through dynamic partnerships with public and private actors while building institutional capacities for farmer outreach. Our goal is the creation of an institutional framework involving collaboration between public and private actors, and the development and adoption of best practices that lay the groundwork for future success.
- Advance industry initiatives. CLP supports private-sector partners by continuing to shift direct implementation of CLP activities to private sector initiatives. CLP’s Matching Grant mechanism leverages companies’ existing infrastructure, expertise, and presence to increase cost-efficiency with sustainability in mind.
- Provide a ‘full-package’ of services to farmers. A ‘full package’ of training provides farmers with skills in improved cocoa production and farm management, including services for improved input delivery systems, planting materials, and financial services. CLP helps farmers take a business-like approach to farm investments.
- Promote food crops. WCF and private and public sector partners help reduce farmer food insecurity by strengthening food crop diversification on their farms. Increasing food crop productivity improves diets and promotes greater gender equity as women produce the most food crops.
- Empower women. Through a grant from the Walmart Foundation, WCF is supporting company partners to improve their gender outreach activities including those that achieve increased food production, diversified incomes, and enhanced decision making in investment and consumption choices. The Gender and Cocoa Livelihoods toolkit was developed to increase understanding and address gender inequalities in the cocoa sector.
Featured Expert Paul MacekVice President of Programs
World Cocoa Foundation
The Gender and Cocoa Livelihoods Toolkit
- Gender & Livelihoods Toolkit
- Cocoa Livelihoods Program - Fact Sheet
- Continued improvement in farm productivity and management
- Increased food security for farmers through additional food crops
- Greater women’s involvement in decision-making and benefit from program activities
- CLP partners improve outreach activities to cocoa communities
CLP Focus Countries
Farmer groups who have received training in good agriculture practices and business management skills through WCF CLP can further their farm productivity through the proper and safe usage of inputs, ranging from crop protective pesticides and fungicides to fertilizer for improvement of soil health.Paul Macek Vice President of Programs, World Cocoa Foundation