Central America grows less than 1% of the global cocoa production, but is seen as a high-potential region for fine… Read More
Why Climate Smart Cocoa?
Climate change is expected to impact the cocoa sector in West Africa and Latin America with consequences for millions of smallholder farmers national economies of cocoa producing countries, and the global cocoa/chocolate industry.
Recent studies show that land suitable for cocoa production will decrease significantly in the near future as a result of climate change. In some areas, longer or more intense dry seasons may adversely affect cocoa growing. Conversely, increases in rainfall and/or humidity levels in other areas may create ideal conditions for the spread of cocoa pests and diseases.
Ultimately, climate change threatens the health and nutrition of farmers who depend on income from cocoa to put food on the table. Cocoa farmers need to adopt climate-smart agriculture (CSA) practices that foster resilience to climate change while sustainably increasing cocoa productivity. The private sector plays an integral part in the long-term sustainability of the cocoa sector and action is needed to further their investment and engagement in measures that will enable farmers and the industry to adapt to pressures from climate change.
- Map and model current and potential impacts of climate change.
- Develop strategies to stimulate private sector investment and engagement.
- Design and implement innovations in CSA to be adopted by private sector partners.
- Increased knowledge of climate change impacts on cocoa sector.
- Better analysis on the best ways to invest and manage risk in a cocoa market increasingly affected by climate change.
- Strategic alignment among private and public sector actors on climate-smart objectives.
- New or enhanced linkages between value chain actors incorporating CSA and better alignment with sustainable consumer demands.
- New services and tools that increase private sector engagement and CSA practices among farmers.
- Learning About Cocoa Landscape Approaches: Ghana Guidance Document & Toolbox
- Latin America Pilots: CSC Agroforestry/Pilotos de América Latina: Sistemas Agroforestales de Cacao Climáticamente Inteligente (CCI)
- Central America and the Caribbean: CSC Inception Reports National CSC Inception Reports/Estado actual de Cacao climáticamente inteligente: Estado nacional actual de CCI
- Central America and the Caribbean: CSC Regional and National Guidelines to Scale/Centroamérica y el Caribe: Directrices regionales y nacionales para escalar CCI
- Climate Smart Agriculture in Cocoa - Training Manual
- Feed the Future Partnership for Climate Smart Cocoa - Fact Sheet
- Tree Registration Field Guide
- Developing Cocoa Agroforestry Systems in Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire
Climate Smart Cocoa Annual Reports
- Climate Smart Cocoa 2020 Annual Report
- Climate Smart Cocoa 2019 Annual Report
- 2017-2018 Annual Report
- 2016-2017 Annual Report
Climate Smart Cocoa Focus Countries
Central America will soon experience rising temperatures and more frequent extreme weather events (...). In this situation, growers’ vulnerability must be reduced in order to maintain risk at manageable levels.