News & Media
Regional Symposium: Next Generation Cocoa Research for West and Central Africa
July 22, 2016
The WCF African Cocoa Initiative (ACI), in conjunction with the African Cocoa Breeders Working Group (ACBWG), is organizing a one-time symposium in Ibadan, Nigeria on the next generation of cocoa research for West and Central Africa. The symposium takes place November 8 -10, 2016.
The symposium will cover aspects on the recent innovations in cocoa improvement, share research experiences, identify research needs and develop national, regional and global alliances to unleash the potential of the crop.
It will also provide a platform for consultation and development of a regional strategy for improving the cocoa sector based on genetic enhancement; pest and diseases, and mitigation of risks of climate change; post-harvest handling and quality aspects; mechanization/labor-saving technologies; markets, institutions and policies; and value chain analysis.
The symposium will bring together nearly 200 researchers, academics, industry representatives and other stakeholders in the cocoa sector to discuss research priorities across both the public and private sector platforms going forward.
GOALS OF THE SYMPOSIUM
The overall goal of this symposium is to establish:
1. A regional strategy for next generation research needs for cocoa sustainability;
2. Increased investments for R4D needs;
3. Increased engagement of policy makers, institutions and governments in the region for strengthening R&D capacity and human resource development.
- Genetic resources, breeding and genomics;
- Post-harvest handling and quality (Bean–to-Bar);
- Value-chain issues (public-private partnership platforms);
- Climate change;
- Mechanization/labor-saving technology;
- Markets, institutions and policies
- International: To be announced
- National organizing committee: Director General, IITA; Executive Director CRIN; Honourable Minister of Agriculture; and others as members.
- Local organizing committee: IITA, CRIN
- Technical advisory committee: Technical persons for each theme and private company representatives.
Abstract should include a title, list of authors, affiliations and a text description of 300 words maximum with 12 font size in Times New Roman. Further information will be provided in subsequent announcements.
Download the Abstract Guidelines here [coming soon].
Registration is open! Register here.
Payment information here [coming soon].
The event is open to students, scientists, donors, policy makers, traders, processors, industries, government and inter-government agencies, NGO’s, private sector, and any other interested parties.
- USD 250 for delegates from public and non-profit organizations
- USD 200 for students (proof required)
- USD 350 for delegates from private sector
- USD 200 for accompanying person covering transport and meals, welcome reception, symposium materials not provided)
Registration fee will cover:
- Airport transfers (arrival on 7th and 8th November and departure on 11th November)
- Transportation to and from hotel to conference venue; access to conference bag, presentations.
- Meals and refreshments provided during conference (two cocoa breaks per day; lunch: 8-10 November; Welcome reception on 8 November)
- Participants will pay for Airfare, accommodation, visa expenses, vaccinations, health insurance, dinner from 8-10 November; sightseeing, tours, and other travels and incidentals.
Payment of registration fees is due by September 15, 2016. Late registration fees of USD 50 will apply for registrations from 16 August 2016 to spot registration during conference period. Cancellation will attract 40% levy to cover transaction costs; no refunds after 20 October 2016.
- Registration deadline – 15 September 2016
- Abstract submission deadline – 15 September 2016
- Symposium duration – 8-10 November 2016
For further information on the symposium, please contact the following:
- Dr. Ranjana Bhattacharjee (IITA) – firstname.lastname@example.org (Organizing secretary)
- Dr. Lelia Dongo (CRIN) – email@example.com;
- Prof. Malachy Akoroda (CRIN) – firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Mr. Sona Ebai (WCF/ACI) – email@example.com
- Dr. Anna Muyiwa (CRIN/ACBG) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Send to a Friend!
Please use the form below to send this page to a friend! It is required that you place an e-mail.